Carb modifications

Modérateur : modérateurs

Répondre
Gaylord

Carb modifications

Message par Gaylord »

Gentlemen, a question please from the UK.
I have a Nordwest 600 fitted with a full Arrow exhaust system, for example the exhaust headers through to the silencer.
The filter is standard and i beleive the carb is also standard.
Should i modify the carb to suit the exhaust system ?
Thankyou
Stiffness

Lilian

Re: Carb modifications

Message par Lilian »

Are you shure the filter is standart?
Because it's about 15 years it is no longer furnished by Gilera, so it's usually fitted with paper cartridges or K&N cartidge for Fiat Panda.
Original filter is a foam filter like this:
This one is new italian made from 2011, I don't know if it's sold in England.

So if you have paper cartridge an free exhaust I think it's similar with original but doesn't work as good as.
If you have brand new foam filter or K&N filter you should give five points more to the main jet of each carb. It depends of the manufacturing year of your motorcycle.

If you read Italian I can send you a document about diferences between RC600R and Nordwest Carbs.
Rc600R is 5HP more than NW and RC but it's mainly due to bigger airbox nor exhaust system.
I mean the best work you have to do before tuning carb is tuning airbox.

Gaylord

Re: Carb modifications

Message par Gaylord »

Hi Lilian, thanks for your reply
I agree with your comment on checking the filter again.
Also if you have the Italian document and could forward to me that would be great !

So to the carb settings, could i ask please what the standard needle/positon settings are for a 93 Nordwest in the CV and slide side of the carb.
In your opinion would you change to a K&N filter and raise the needles in order to get the best performance from the Arrow Exhaust ?

Thanks for your help
Stephen

Gaylord

Re: Carb modifications and filter

Message par Gaylord »

Hello again Lilian
As you suggested i have checked the air filter and would you beleive it is the origonal filter! In very bad condition though, big holes everywhere.
So i have ordered a K&N unit.
I have since been told that the standard postion for the needles is the THIRD NOTCH, ie in the middle.
What would you guys suggest for the seetings with full Arrow Exhaust and K&N
Many thanks and Bon Weekend !
Stephen

Répondre